This disease is a genetic disorder usually caused by the occurrence of transformation in both copies of the DNA which occurs in parts of the human body such as the liver, kidney, pancreas, intestine and more in the lungs.
Individuals with the cystic fibrosis disorder get to have a variety of symptoms from this disease which includes;
- High saline taste on the skin
- Insistent occurrence of a cough and most times with rheum (catarrh)
- Lack of weight gain even with a perfect diet and appetite
- Shortage of air flow through the lungs thereby leading to gasping for air and wheezing
- Pneumonia and bronchitis get to occur at a high rate more frequently
- Trouble with emptying the bowels as well as massive stools
- In male, it is a possibility of making the individual infertile as well
DIAGNOSING CYSTIC FIBROSIS
Medical research has it that individuals with cystic fibrosis got it from both parents. They get to have both copies of cystic fibrosis with one gotten from each of the parents DNA. In a case where it is only one parent who has cystic fibrosis, you as an individual only get one copy of the DNA from that parent. This does not make you have the disease, and infact you do not have the disease but rather only a carrier.
It is important to know that now and then parents who are both carriers have a child, the chances of transferring copies of both DNA to the child are;
- 25%- One in every four children will be infected with cystic fibrosis
- 50%- One in every two children will be only but a carrier but will not be infected with cystic fibrosis
- 25%- One in every four children will neither be a carrier nor be infected with cystic fibrosis.
CYSTIC FIBROSIS FACTS TO KNOW
- 70,000 of humans worldwide are infected and living with cystic fibrosis
- In approximations, about 1,500 individuals are diagnosed every year with cystic fibrosis
- About 80% of those with cystic fibrosis are being diagnosed to have the disorder at the age 2
- Majority of those infected with the cystic disorder are in the age gap of 18 or older
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM CYSTIC FIBROSIS DISORDER
It is expected to know firsthand that majority of those with this disorder would experience difficulty breathing as it most times affects the lungs than other parts of the body. Cystic fibrosis is a complicated disorder and differs from individuals to individuals. Having a bacterial contamination could be quite risky for those with the disease, and so it is advisable to keep away from any form of bacterial generating items if in the cystic fibrosis category of those diagnosed to avoid complications.
Treatments get to add extra years to the life span of those undergoing treatment, but research has it that the average life span of one diagnosed with cystic fibrosis is around 40 years. Thanks to technology and critical research to battling the disease as it has given a lot of people the opportunity to live long enough to make come to pass their dreams.